"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path's straight."
Proverbs 3: 5-6

Thursday, April 17, 2008

What About Me?

I think all moms need to take a little "me" time. I am probably the world's worst at putting myself last. I will go out of my way for everyone else, wear myself to the bone and never say no. I think that's fine if that's how you are, but only if you take time for yourself somewhere along the way. I KNOW this and I can tell any other mom they need to do this, but for some reason I can't practice it myself. Why? Why do so many of us do this? And not just moms, women in general. Last Friday I asked Cody to watch Zoe for just a little while so that I could go get a pedicure. Didn't happen. And not because of Cody. He said he'd be more than happy to. I just got busy doing so many other things that I decided to skip the ONE thing I had set aside for me. Today I got to spend some much needed adult time with a friend of mine. Mind you, it wasn't anything planned. I actually bumped into her at work. Our families are like mirror images... Dylan and Caleigh are the same age and her 2 youngest are exactly 20 months apart like mine will be. The only difference is that mine are girls and hers are boys. Back to my point... during our wonderful hour long visit she suggested we get together before the baby gets here, just us, and I hesitated. Why? I would love to go out with a girlfriend sans kids. Why do I act like it's so horrible to take the tiniest bit of time for me? So, I have vowed to make time for me. Whether it's going out to lunch with a friend, getting a much needed pedicure or spending 15 minutes alone in my quiet bedroom (did I mention ALONE?). And just maybe Cody will have a better appreciation for me and what I do all day long alone when I get back from my "me" time. We'll see!!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I understand completely....let me know how it works out for you and maybe I can follow in your very wise footsteps!!! Cheers!!!